Assessing potential fall risks is a simple yet important aspect of physical therapy. One of our goals is to identify possible stress points to avoid injury. More than 40% of those hospitalized for hip fractures, never return home or live independently again.
( “2003 Kramer” )
Factors that contribute to a fall-risk include:
- Problems walking or moving around
- Taking 4 or more medications
- Foot problems, unsafe footwear
- Blood pressure issues
- Reduced vision
- When a person requires assistance with 3 or more activities of daily living.
Physical therapy services to address fall-risk injuries include:
- Gait training
- Balance drills
- Therapeutic exercise
- Equipment ordering and training
- Surgical rehabilitation