Home modifications are “adaptations” to the home environment intended to increase usage, safety, security, and independence for the user. Active In-Home Therapy occupational therapists are skilled at recognizing how the environment affects the ability to perform daily activities, and they will address the physical, psychological and social aspects of illness and injury to promote aging in place and a safe fulfilling environment. Specifically we will:
- evaluate your needs.
- identify barriers to performance and implement solutions.
- recommend training, alterations, adjustments, or additions to the home.
- order specialized, customized, off-the-shelf, or universally designed technologies; low or high-tech equipment, products, hardware controls and cues, finishes, furnishings, and other features that affect the layout and structure of the home.
- evaluate beneficial outcomes of the modifications and continue to make adjustments according to needs/progress.
Specific occupational therapy services include:
- Cognition assessment and training
- Vision screening, vision therapy, referral to
- Self-care skills training
- Energy conservation training / stress management / coping skills training & sleep hygiene
- Muscle re-education
- Adaptive assessment / ordering equipment &
provide training in its use
- Assistance with relocation